Happy New Year! It’s that time again where we take stock in our lives and make resolutions to do better, be better, feel better. The best way to do all three of these things is to detoxify. So many dinners and parties over the holidays have us eating and drinking more than usual. We also may have some mental issues from work or family confrontations that need to be cleared from your mind. Detoxification includes those as well, so here are some helpful tips to begin the New Year on a healthy note.
- Start simply by rehydrating. It’s easy to become dehydrated in dry Colorado but extra cocktails and wine over the holidays can make that worse. The rule of thumb is drinking half of your body weight in ounces of WATER every day. So if you are 150 lbs., you need to drink 75 oz of water daily. Try to only enjoy an alcoholic beverage on special occasions and think water, water, water when you are thirsty.
- Take a walk. Walking is a great low-impact exercise that can help you not only lose weight but gain that mental clarity that one can only get when out of the realm of screens and phones, just enjoying the beauty of the Colorado scenery.
- Avoid processed and fast foods. We get so busy in December that it is easy to just run through a drive-thru and not eat very healthy. Try to plan meals with a lean protein and make sure your plate has plenty of color. Choose something green, yellow and red from the veggie realm and you can’t go wrong.
- Get a foot detox. Ionic foot detox baths help to eliminate toxins in the body by using ionization to draw out the excess impurities in the body. These can be as common as yeast and as scary as heavy metals. The color and consistency of the water during and after the process lets you know which organ of the body was storing the most toxins and what you should think about supporting through dietary or environmental changes, as well bioavailable supplementation.
- Get adjusted. Regular chiropractic care boosts your immune system and helps your muscles to stay supple and strong to prevent injury. It can also lower blood pressure, regulate the nervous system and improve mood by reducing stress.
- Finally, give yourself some grace. We can get so stressed over the holidays that we often don’t think about how we treat others and when we realize it has not been the best, we have guilt and remorse, even after we have apologized and have been forgiven by those we slight. We all make mistakes so learn from it and move forward with the resolve to be better next time.
Follow these handy tips and your year will begin clear, with a clean mind and body. Wishing you the best in 2024.